In addition to performing regular DIY check-ups, we strongly recommend a general service of your ABS avalanche backpack with M.A.S.S. unit every 3 seasons to make sure it functions properly. More information: Check-up and repair service for ABS backpacks
Regular DIY check-up
The ABS avalanche airbag system is largely maintenance-free. You should nevertheless conduct a regular check-up of the following points so that your avalanche backpack works reliably in an emergency situation:
- Unfold both airbags at least once a year, inspect them for damage and then fold again.
- Carry out a training activation in safe terrain at the start of each season.
- Inspect the release valve in the black suction and release unit by pressing the red button several times to ensure that it springs back completely each time.
- Ensure that the puncture unit, into which the cartridge is screwed, is clean.
- Check that the activation handle enters the coupler smoothly. A drop of ABS oil should be added to the coupler occasionally if removing the handle is problematic. A sample tube of ABS oil was included with your backpack and can be reordered from ABS.
- Ensure that the filled cartridge is tightly screwed in before each use of the ABS avalanche backpack.
Maintenance after use in an avalanche
A general service is necessary after every use in an avalanche, even if there is no visible external damage. You can find further information at: Check-up and repair service for ABS backpacks